Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Sweet Corn: Time to work on your husking skills

"What's in Season" article from the second week in July:
Sweet corn is coming on a little late this year because of all the rain we had this spring.  Farmers had a hard time getting their equipment out in the fields to get it planted.  However, we are now starting to see it at market and it will become more plentiful over the next couple of weeks.  There is nothing better than your first batch of good, locally grown sweet corn in the summer.
            I remember when I was a kid thinking it was such a chore to husk the corn.  It seemed to take forever and getting all of the silk off was so tedious.  I didn’t understand why it was always the kids’ job to husk the corn.  I think it is one of those tasks that “builds character”, so when I have kids someday, I’m going to be sure it is their job to husk the corn. 
It must have been good practice, because I’m pretty quick at it these days.  My cousin’s wife, Kelley, and I freeze enough corn each summer to last all winter, and I think I’m the fastest at husking the corn.  She’ll probably argue with me on that point though, so we may have to have a little contest when we start freezing corn this year.  I will let you know who is the winner. 
            I always try to work quickly because I generally don’t allow enough time for all of the things I have to accomplish.  Therefore, if I have a party to go to I usually try to find a recipe that can be made up the night before.  Here is an interesting one given to me by my cousin, Anne, who lives in Cincinnati.  Corn and blueberries seem like an odd combination, but give this salad a try and you won’t be sorry.
Corn and Blueberry Salad
·        6 ears fresh Sweet Corn, husked
·        1 c. fresh Blueberries
·        1 small Cucumber, sliced
·        ¼ c. finely chopped Red Onion
·        ¼ cup fresh Cilantro
·        1 Jalapeno Pepper, seeded and finely chopped
·        2 tblsp. Lime juice
·        2 tblsp. Olive oil
·        1 tblsp. Honey
·        ½ tsp. ground Cumin
 In a dutch oven, bring salted water to a boil.  Add corn, cook five min.  When cool, cut corn from cobs.  In serving bowl, combine corn, blueberries, cucumber, red onion, cilantro, and jalapeno.  For dressing combine lime juice, oil, honey, cumin, and ½ tsp. salt (shake ingredients in a screw top jar to combine well.)  Add to salad and toss.  Refrigerate overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment