Sunday, November 6, 2011

Farmers’ Market is just Peachy

"What's in Season" article from the first week in August:

The busy season has set in at Farmers’ Market.  A wide variety of local produce is coming on strong.  The farmers’ tables are getting fuller and fuller each week.  In fact, if you enjoy photography, I would carry along a camera to snap some pictures of all the colorful produce.  In my opinion, a nice display of fruits and vegetables is as picturesque as a bouquet of flowers.  Last week one girl was trying out her pricey new camera and was delighted when I invited her out to the farm to take more photos. 
One of the prettiest displays you will see at market this time of year is the lovely baskets of local peaches.  Just the sight of them will make your mouth water.  I have a feeling a lot of the customers eat at least one peach on the ride home.  There are so many good ways to enjoy them.  Homemade ice cream with fresh peaches sliced overtop—doesn’t that just sound like the essence of the perfect summer treat? 
I have been trying to figure out when I am going to have time to start canning peaches.  This is something I try to do every year so that we can enjoy some of that summer goodness in the winter.  Although, my family says I’m stingy with them, mostly bringing them out on special occasions.  I’m surprised I enjoy canning peaches at all, because I have a vivid memory of my mother and her cousin canning peaches when I was little.  They bought two bushels of peaches and decided to can them all in one night.  Of course, it took them half the night to get through all of those peaches.  Being the youngest kid of the bunch and having no playmates my age, that night seemed to be one of the longest of my life.  I think my mom was sick of canning peaches after that night as well because I don’t ever remember her doing that again. 
Fresh tomatoes aren’t the only thing you can make into fresh salsa.  Here’s a quick and tasty salsa recipe made from fresh peaches. (adapted from simplyrecipes.com) It is good with tortilla chips or served atop fish, chicken, or pork.
Peach Salsa
  • 4 ripe but firm yellow peaches, chopped (skin on or off, your choice)
  • 2-3 Tbsp chopped onions
  • 2-3 jalapenos, chopped (stem, seeds and ribs discarded)
  • Juice of a lemon
  • 2 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
  • 2 Tbsp grated ginger
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • Salt and black pepper to taste
Put the chopped peaches, onions, and jalapeños in the bowl of a food processor. Add the remaining ingredients. Pulse 2-3 times, just enough to get most the pieces small—don’t overdo it.  Place salsa into a bowl and cover. Let stand for an hour before serving to give the ingredients time to meld.  Makes about 2 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment