Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes: Not Just a Movie

"What's in Season" article from the third week in July:
If you are like me, you’ve been waiting for the tomatoes to get big enough to pick green for fried green tomatoes.  And, if you’re like me, you probably picked them a little small because you just couldn’t wait any longer.  Fried green tomatoes are an acquired taste; most people either love them or could leave them.  In our household, I’m the one that enjoys them the most.  I can remember my Granny fixing them for me when I was a little girl and dad says his brother really liked them.  I must take after them. 
Earlier this summer, while my tomato plants were still only about a foot high, I went to a popular chain restaurant and was so excited to see fried green tomatoes on the menu.  Of course, I had to order them because I had been longing for the crisp tang of a fried green tomato.  Unfortunately, I was disappointed that they were not nearly as good as homemade.  There is an art to getting the right amount of breading—too much will cover up the flavor of the tomato, which is the whole point.  There is also an art to cooking them so that they are not mushy—I know, I’ve made a few batches in my time that ended up that way, and trust me, they are not nearly as enjoyable.  So, if your only experience with Fried Green Tomatoes was in a chain restaurant and you were less than thrilled, I would encourage you to give them another try.  Find a friend who is experienced at making them or dive right in and try to make them yourself.
Here’s how I do it.  Slice the tomatoes about ¼ inch thick.  This is an estimate, but if you slice them too thick they will be hard to cook through and if you slice them too thin they may fall apart.  There are a couple of schools of thought on breading them.  You can dip the tomato in egg or milk then dredge it in flour to cover both sides.  I don’t really think it is necessary to use egg or milk; there is enough juice from the tomato itself for the flour to stick to.  Like I said before, I think too much breading can take away from the flavor.  It is up to you—I’d try it different ways and see what you like.  Also, I add some salt and pepper and Lawry’s Seasoned Salt to the flour before I coat the tomatoes.  Then, in a heavy skillet (I use iron) heat butter over medium heat, add your tomatoes when it is hot, and fry.  A couple of minutes on each side should be good, then lay them on paper towels and sprinkle with salt while they’re hot.  For those who are health conscious, frying something in butter is probably not your cooking method of choice, but in my opinion, fried green tomatoes are a special treat.
I have other good recipes for green tomatoes such as relish and pickles, but those are things that I do in October.  Just before frost I will go out and pick a couple of buckets of green tomatoes to put up for the winter.  If your fried green tomatoes don’t turn out the way you’d like (keep trying though, you’ll get the hang of it), I found a recipe online (cooks.com) for Baked Green Tomatoes that is a little more foolproof.  Plus you still get that great tangy green tomato flavor.
BAKED GREEN TOMATO CASSEROLE 
·        4 medium green tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
·        1 onion, finely chopped
·        2 tbsp. butter
·        1/2 cup bread crumbs
·        2-4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
·        salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 350°F. Melt butter in casserole dish and toss with bread crumbs. Scoop most of the bread crumbs into a dish. Dredge tomato slices in bread crumbs and arrange in casserole. Cover with chopped onions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment