Thursday, May 19, 2011

Green Onions

Here is this week's "What's in Season" article:

Green Onions: A Great Way to Add Color and Flavor
Onions were the second thing I planted in my garden after the peas.  Now the tops are getting tall but the bulbs have not yet started to form.  When you harvest the onions before the bulb forms they are called green onions.  The mild flavor of green onions makes them a great addition to many dishes without overpowering the other ingredients.  Plus, when you use the whole stalk, the green color makes for a very eye appealing dish. 
This time of year it is great to go to the garden, pull one out of the ground, peel off the top layer of skin to get rid of the dirt, and munch away.  They are also great when added to vegetable trays.  However, I try to only eat them at family events—you have to know that the people you will be conversing with really love you and don’t care about your breath.  Either that or be sure you’ve brought along some really strong gum.
When I was pretty young I remember my grandma’s cousin came to visit from Chicago.  We were amazed when, upon her arrival, she began to pull several food items out of the large purse she had carried with her on the plane (this was in the days before 9/11.)  Out came a box of spaghetti, followed by a small jar of mayonnaise, a bundle of green onions, and a package of crab meat (the flight from Chicago was just enough time for the frozen crab meat to unthaw.)  She wanted to be sure to bring food to the gathering and, before we knew it, she had whipped together these ingredients and made a delicious pasta salad.
This pasta salad with crab meat and green onions has since become a staple at most of our family gatherings.  The great thing is that you can make it up the day before; I actually think it tastes better if it has been in the refrigerator for a day.  The recipe is very easily multiplied to make large batches and you don’t have to get the amounts exact; I just add things to taste. 
My friend Shannon and I were making this pasta salad for our best friend Laura’s wedding reception several years ago.  I left Shannon in charge of cooking the spaghetti because I had to do some last minute sewing on the bridesmaids’ dresses.  Upon my return to the kitchen, practically every pot and bowl in sight was filled with spaghetti.  I hadn’t given her specific quantities, just told her to start cooking the spaghetti.  She was literally up to her elbows in pasta.  She looked at me with exasperation and said she didn’t know where she was possibly going to put the next batch.  I had to laugh—there was enough to feed an army!  Perhaps I should have given more specific instructions.  Here is the recipe if you don’t want to “wing it” like I do.   
Betty Jean’s Crab & Green Onion Pasta Salad
·         6 oz. Spaghetti – cooked and cooled
·         8 oz. package frozen Crab Meat (we use the imitation crab meat)
·         ½ to ¾ cup Miracle Whip
·         One bunch of green onions
·         Salt & Pepper to taste
Chop green onions and crab meat.  Mix all ingredients and refrigerate until ready to serve.


Here is Shannon (aka Shenanigans) making pasta for Laura's wedding.  This is in Laura's parents kitchen in Chillicothe, April 2004.  I thought I had a better picture of all the pasta, but at least you can see all the pots over on the counter.  Laura and Shannon were two of my housemates in college for those of you who don't know them.
This is me mixing up the pasta salad.  Yes, I'm using my hand, but it was clean and my other arm was broken (like two weeks before the wedding!) so that was the easiest way to do it.

5 comments:

  1. I don't know where to start! I'm laughing my butt off at this post!!
    1) I can't believe you have a picture of this!! Although, you are correct it really doesn't do the situation justice! There was pasta EVERYWHERE! Sorry Kay!!
    2) wow, my hair was short and I haven't seen that t-shirt in years! Yay BNL!!
    3) I think there were specific instructions and they went like this: Shannon, here's some spaghetti and pots. Please cook all of this spaghetti as we need enough for about 100+ people that will be attending Laura and Tim's wedding. Good luck!

    Haha, Just kidding! I guess this is one instance on why I have the nickname Shenanigans (at least according to my gypsies;)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, another instance where Shenanigans created some shenanigans!
    Although, I would agree with her. If Kristen asked me to boil spaghetti for over 100 people, I would just keep boiling until Kristen told me to stop!
    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha i'm late on reading this post- but man I remember this story (and how much we all love your pasta salad Kristen.

    In fact- I made a seafood salad the other day that I was only able to convince Julianna to try b/c I likened it to your recipe! Of course, mine wasn't as good ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello?! Some of us don't live in Zanesville and want to read your articles, too! (Just kidding, I've been horrible at keeping up my blogs this summer... so I can't criticize!)

    ReplyDelete