Friday, January 21, 2011

Friday Night Fun!

Tomorrow is beef butchering day so I spent a VERY cold afternoon in the garage finishing organizing the freezer.  It took me almost three hours but it looks pretty good, if I do say so myself, and I managed to free up two whole shelves for beef.  We will be butchering at our friends' farm and everyone is taking a covered dish to share.  Mom and I decided on a crockpot of chicken noodles.  Upon discovering we were out of noodles (we usually have a large bag on hand that mom buys at Sam's Club), she and I debated about buying some or making them ourselves.  Now, I can remember my mom making homemade noodles a lot when I was kid but she hasn't done that in I'd say at least 20 years.  I have never made them.  My friend Laura and I were always going to learn to make them together and never did.  So, tonight mom and I decided to make noodles together. (Now that's what I call Friday night entertainment!)  I'm so glad we did!  It was fun and cheap and we did two batches in less than an hour.  I don't know why it took me until I was thirty years old to have my mom show me how to do this; it was easy!!

Getting ready: Eggs, Flour, Rolling Pin

Flour and Eggs and a pinch of salt, then mix.



Rock and Roll!!
  

 We started cutting them with a knife, then discovered that the pizza cutter was much easier!


And that's how it's done!  Now it just has to dry.


One batch done--let's do another!


     Two batches of noodles.  In the morning they'll be dry and ready to go.

Newly organized freezer.  Where's the beef?

5 comments:

  1. What a fun mother daughter activity. I am in awe at how organized your freezer is. Everything has a label!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm....homemade noodles! I use a pizza cutter, too. In the picture it looks as if you have a dryer rack of some sort. Do you? I would think that the noodles would dry more quickly and evenly if they were hanging like I think I see them doing. If I'm right...what does the rack look like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. K-The racks are ones that I got when I had a pampered chef party a few years ago. They are great. We use them all the time for cooling cookies, etc. They worked great for the noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously Kristen-- not knowing how to make noodles until you were 30 years old. You are clearly the laziest person I have ever known.

    ReplyDelete