Tuesday, June 11, 2013



Rain Helps Farmers Fields

Farmers are very thankful this week for the recent rains.  The fields were pretty dry and the difference in the plants was noticed immediately.  For example, the peas are finally filling out in their pods and the little yellow crookneck squash are starting to get big enough to pick.  Look for some at market this week.
The garden plants really shot up overnight it seems.  I spent a lot of time this week putting tomato stakes in the ground as the plants are starting to get big enough to need support.
            Of course, as the plants grow from the rain, so too do the weeds.  They are sprouting up everywhere.  June seems to be the time to battle against the weeds.  Hopefully, I can keep ahead of them now because once the main harvest of tomatoes, peppers and other vegetables comes on in July, weeding seems to go by the wayside.  If the weeds haven’t been kept in check before that point, it will become a jungle before you know it.
            In addition to weeding and hoeing, other another major garden project for this week was to plant my pumpkins and winter squash.  Autumn seems a long way away, but I know that the summer will fly by and before I know it these will be ready to harvest.
            My after dark project this week has been to make strawberry jam with the lesser quality strawberries.  The kitchen smells heavenly while it is cooking.  I have a problem with hoarding the jam and not letting anyone use it for a while.  It just looks so pretty on the shelf.  I really need to try not to do that this year.
My best friend Becky and I have a challenge going on with one another right now to not to eat sweets.  I haven’t asked her yet if that includes jam.  I feel like it should be classified as a condiment not a dessert.   Fortunately, we added a clause that we are allowed one freebie a week.  This week I used my pass on strawberry shortcake at my Grandma’s house the other night.  It was wonderful.
In an effort not to cheat on my challenge I looked up some savory strawberry recipes.  Here is a good one I found on the PBS food webpage (www.pbs.org).  It makes a nice appetizer.
Savory Goat Cheese and Herb Stuffed Strawberries
  • 1 pt. fresh strawberries
  • 4 oz. goat cheese
  • 1 tbs fresh, finely chopped parsley
  • 1/2 tbs fresh, finely chopped mint
  • 1/2 tbs fresh, finely chopped chives
  • 2 tbs cream (or milk)
  • 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
  • Salt to taste
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
Wash and hull strawberries, set aside. In a small bowl, combine goat cheese and herbs. Add zest and just enough cream to make the goat cheese creamy. Salt to taste.  Spoon or pipe this mixture into the center of the hulled berries.  Meanwhile, in a saucepan, add the balsamic vinegar and heat at a medium temperature until the vinegar gets syrupy and reduces by half. Drizzle on top of berries and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment