Tuesday, May 14, 2013



Are you Going to Farmers Market?  Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme. . .
      Last Saturday it was nice to see that there were some daughters and sons who came to market with their mothers, in spite of the cool, damp day.  It would be a nice tradition to continue, not just for Mother’s Day.  There are many multi-generational families who come to market together nearly every week.
   It is important to note that the main entrance to the Fairgrounds is now closed to car traffic on Saturday mornings.  Customers now have to enter through another gate.  The Fair Board asked that we do this in order to cut down on congestion and potential accidents in that area.
      As you shop for your vegetable and flower plants, do not forget about growing herbs.  It does not take a large space to grow enough herbs for a summer’s worth of cooking.  Herbs such as basil and cilantro must be planted each year.  Some herbs such as dill and chamomile will usually re-seed themselves.  Perennial herbs such as oregano, thyme, tarragon, and mint will come up year after year.  And watch out, some of them, especially mint, will try to take over everything if you’re not careful.          
   One herb I seem to be ill-fated in growing is rosemary.  Every winter I take my plants indoors, only to watch them slowly drop their needles and die.  Last spring, however, my hopes were high as I planted a new variety of rosemary that was supposed to be hardy in our zone.  I was sure that it would live up to its promise, but alas it is still brown and I fear it is not coming back. 
    My great-grandma said you should never buy a rosemary plant or it will die; you should only grow it if it is given to you as a gift.  Since I profess not to believe in superstitions, it is people like me that keep our vendors happy by buying rosemary year after year.  However, I must admit I was delighted last week when Mrs. Cherry gave me an unexpected gift of a hanging basket full of rosemary.  Maybe I can keep this one alive.
    In his article on Monday, Mark Mechling mentioned the abundance of dandelions this year.  I definitely noticed that they were taking over my field before I tilled the ground.    I can remember making dandelion soup with my Granny as a child.  At the time she lived in a house on Putnam Avenue and I can remember collecting dandelion leaves from a vacant lot behind her house, which seems really funny to me now. 
    There are many uses for the whole dandelion including frying the blossoms, using the root as a coffee substitute, making wine and jelly, and eating the leaves raw.  There will be fresh lettuce, spinach and other greens available at market, so why not be adventurous and add some dandelion greens to your salad for a true “spring mix.”  Top with the following dressing.

Fresh Herb Vinaigrette
·         1 T. Dijon mustard
·         1 T. minced green onions
·         2 tsp. white wine vinegar (I use whatever vinegar is on hand, red wine, balsamic, apple cider, etc.)
·         1/2 tsp. salt
·         1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
·         1/2 cup vegetable oil
·         2 T. olive oil
·         1 T. chopped fresh parsley leaves
·         1 T. chopped fresh chives
·         2 tsp. chopped fresh tarragon leaves

 Simply whisk together all ingredients and use on your fresh salad greens.



No comments:

Post a Comment